7.19.2020

Quarantine Reflection: Garage Lessons

If you follow me on social media (InstagramTwitter, Facebook) you can see that my posts have been a buzz of activity lately in the garage. Its been a few weeks now that I got my Datsun Z back from the garage and on the road and I have been driving her nearly daily and working on her a few days/nights a week. It has been a welcome break during quarantine madness.

If you know me you know that I like to teach in unorthodox ways and of course garage time with Cruz has been full of intentional, unintentional and accidental lessons. I try to capitalize on all of them and talk with him before, during or after about what happened. So let's recap a few things.

BUMPERS (write up coming to Z Blog)
The first job I had on my list was installing bumpers. The 280z came with huge heavy bumpers, and I like the slimmer 240Z look. I removed my original ones, I sourced some earlier model bumpers but never got to install them before she went off to the shop. On my first test fit the rear bumper brackets were not correct and would take significant work to get mounted. So I made the call to just work on the fronts and painted them and Cruz helped me mount them. I explained how it was frustrating, but I did't just want to drill a bunch of holes and makes a mess quickly mounting it. I would take my time, try to get the right parts, or make a custom bracket.
Lessons: Do things right the first time, no short cuts.

WHEELS
When I got the car she had a set of 14 x 6 Shelby Cal 500 wheels on her. While I love that iconic slotted mag look, and who doesn't want Shelby parts on their car... the tires on them were junk and I wanted bigger and blingyer. I scored a good deal on some 16x8 XXR wheels and with some rubber on them they made me heavier, too sticky in the wrong way, they rub in the back on bumps and corners... but man they look good! So now that she is out on parole, I needed some wheels we could compete in... so we pulled the Shelby's from storage, I got some cheap rubber installed on them to mess around on, and planned a day with then dude to get them on the car.

I got the tools out; jack, lug wrench, my big impact driver and other related tools. I taught Cruz about safety around a raised vehicle, we choked the wheels, and then we jacked her up. We removed the wheel, and put the Shelby on... and then realized, didn't have the right lugs. We looked and looked... did I lose them? Did I not get them back from the shop? Searched and searched the garage... put the wheel back on the car. We drove her to lunch and I calmed down... then I searched online, Autozone website was being weird but they were in stock. I drove to three Autozones to get enough lugs (needed 16) and went home and jacked the car back up. Well 14 of the lugs I got didn't come with washers, but I was getting these mounted... Got two wheels swapped, feeling good, onto the third and... one of then lugs wouldn't fit... wrong thread... luckily I bought 17! So I kept going. Another one bad thread... then another... and I ran out of good lugs.

I would not be stopped... I knew a couple other stores had more, so went to two more stores and got the ones I needed. However, I still need to cure my issue of missing washers... so I stopped at the Autozone near my house to order more. Six Autozones, still didn't have everything I needed but I had enough. I stayed calm, I stayed focused and didn't quit, and I got the job done.
Lessons: Don't let things out of your control, control you.

MY FINGER
Well at the beginning of all of this... I was rushing one morning to check something on the car. I ran outside and was looking in the car, and rushing back inside, I slammed my finger in the door. I literally shut the door and it latched shut, with my finger still in the door. Needless to say it hurt, I ran inside, I iceed it, Heather had to take the kids to school cause my hand was throbbing.... two days later it was still bad, so I went to the doctor. Doctor said, had I come right away they could of drained the blood from under my nail and recovery would of been ten times better.
Lessons: Don't rush, take your time or injuries happen. Don't be tough, go to the doctor.

I really enjoy working with dudeman in the garage. It reminded me of when N and I would tinker. She was about this age when Cruz was being born, and I got winter wheels for the Jetta and she helped me put them on. I taught her the steps to changing a tire. I enjoy doing this stuff, being busy and working with my kids on it. I am glad they enjoy it as well and that they also learn something.

Memories...

No comments: