8.23.2026

Barron Lake Times 5

You finish how you trained. 
You place where you prepared. 

I can come up with more cheesy quotes. I manifested this slow finish this year. I back maybe in April started to slow down training. I thought at that point I would not take the long September weekend to do an Ironman (Wisconsin). With both kids doing fall sports I hated to miss multiple games, and one of these Fridays dude might get his first snaps on varsity. 

Yeah lots of excuses. Interestingly now my parents are flying in to visit the day that would of been my Ironman attempt. So I guess it will be another year of Still Not an Ironman

Last year was a real high for me. Despite moving and lots of transition, I was able to maintain a good training pace, often taking calls for work or home contractors while on a long bike ride, answering texts on long runs with Siri's help... I got the training in and did a HALF Ironman, and that reflection and blog is here (Ironman: Not Yet). 

I had a lot of excuses why I could have skipped the Barron Lake Triathlon this year. 
 - I didn't air up my bike tires until 3 weeks ago. 
 - I didn't open water swim until 2 weeks ago. 
 - I didn't think I could beat any of my times. 
I signed up. Not cause I would be fast, not cause I could beat a time, not cause I would feel better doing it. It didn't feel great at all, but because I feel worse not doing it, and knowing I could. So I did. Did I do better than I thought, naw, not really, maybe not as bad as it could of been, but way worse than I should of been. 

So enough tongue twisters and deep thoughts, here is the Table of Times:
Discipline 2019 2023 2024 2025 2026
Weight 153 lbs. 155 lbs. 151 lbs. 150 lbs. 162 lbs.
Swim 12:21 16:39 15:17 11:24 11:40
Bike 53:32 54:18 51:20 53:17 53:39
Run 27:29 25:40 25:37 24:25 27:57
Age Rank 4/4 3/7 2/5 3/6 4/9
Total Time 1:37 1:40 1:36 1:33 1:36

I added my weight to this table for each year. I think for sure weight makes a difference, but I do feel like a 4th place out of 9 in my age division feels good. More people competing and I was just one spot out (barely a minute) of getting a third place medal. 

It was a great day overall, nice to see Barron Lake Tri growing, the turnout was bigger than the last few years so maybe triathlons are back! While I loved getting medals last few years, it was mostly cause of low turnout not my speed. Ha. 

Checking out the overall results, I like to see how I compare not just overall, but in each of the split times, and we will ignore the transition times... cause good god I don't know why I can't get my act together but I love to take my time putting on socks. Ha. 

Total Times
2019 1:37:31 for 47th of 65 (28 percentile) 
2023 1:40:04 for 35th of 60 (42 percentile) 
2024 1:36:29 for 21st of 50 (58 percentile) 
2025 1:33.22 for 26th of 62 (58 percentile) 
2026 1:36:45 for 38th of 65 (42 percentile)

It doesn't feel great to be in the bottom percentile... but I know its what I get for not putting in the work I needed to be faster. I did think my swim time would be better, as I really worked hard this year on the swim portion, but I guess I did spend less time this year than last training in open water... two swims in the month before, and only three open water swims total all year!. 

Swim
2019 12:21 for 55th of 65 (15 percentile)
2023 16:39 for 45th of 60 (25 percentile)
2024 15:17 for 37th of 50 (26 percentile)
2025 11:24 for 35th of 62 (44 percentile)
2026 11:40 for 40th of 65 (38 percentile)

Bike
2019 53:32 for 50th of 65 (23 percentile)
2023 54:18 for 39th of 60 (35 percentile)
2024 51:20 for 19th of 50 (62 percentile)
2025 53:17 for 33rd of 62 (47 percentile)
2025 11:24 for 37th of 65 (43 percentile)


Run
2019 27:29 for 38th of 65 (42 percentile)
2023 25:40 for 20th of 60 (67 percentile)
2024 25:37 for 13th of 50 (74 percentile)
2025 24:25 for 11th of 62 (82 percentile)
2026 27:57 for 31st of 65 (52 percentile)

Breaking this up my percentile in the disciplines shows overall progress over time, but still a bad dip for this year. I did rank higher in each discipline this year than I did my first year, so while the graph line dips down, it is still better than when I started my triathlon journey. 

No comments: