6.08.2003

The Fast and Exhaustless...
Well today was the big day and man was it a blast! Here is how the day went for Team LB Performance (Hermen and I).

I was nervous and excited, as the day went I saw many drivers go off course, hit tons of cones and just look like crap. I was worried about how I would handle, especially it being my first time. Car #86 was placed in the third and and final heat so I got to see everyone else race first.

My time came, I was nervous in the starting grid, but a good nervous. I was calm, focused on the course and hoping to just complete the first of my four runs without looking like an idiot. My turn....

Well the in the first run of my heat I took 5th out of 12 cars. Not too shabby.... I ran a 58 sec time around the course. So now I am pumped, I had Hermen sit in with me on the second and third runs and give me feedback on what he saw me do in my 1st run. Second run... shaved an entire 3 seconds of my time, a wonderful run with no penalities. 55 second time. No cones hit so far.

The third run I was going to up the pace a little. Really try to get into a groove and see if I can try to move up the ladder at all and see if I can actaully place at my first event. Lady luck, and the 8Ball shifter let me down. I hit a cone on the second stretch of the salom (I was really doing well until then) and lost my focus after that. I still made a faster time, a 54 second run, but the cone added two seconds to my time so really it counted as a 56 second time. I was now down to 7th out of 12.

My final run, I took all the information I learned from my first three runs, and I was resolved to get below 55 seconds on a clean run. I started great, my best luanch of the day. Cleared the first big curve great and killed the salom on the first pass, then I swung and controled a great slide around the box, and downshifted into first to hit the salom again. Then I heard it as I poped the clutched back in and heard the tires cry for traction... a loud booom! Ah!

At the time I did not know what happened but I knew something was not right. I did not let it fade me (I tried not to) and hit the salom wonderfully and headed for the snake. In the snake I knew my car was not right, something was wrong but I pressed on. I hit a cone in the snake. I completed the loop fine and did the two 90degree turns well and headed for the finish.

My final run was a 55, with a 2 second penality for the cone I hit. Not too bad since I blew the exhuast pipe apart on my car. I managed to put so much pressure on that downshift that I blew the weld on the exhuast pipe just after the resonator. What a run!

After the racing was over Hermen took the NX on two fun runs. He did pretty well also and got some seat time and next time we will dual enter the Nissan and both drive it. The car now sounds like a semi truck since it is running now with no muffler but we drive it home after a sweet first day out. We had a good time and that was all that mattered (no seriously I am fine with not placing).










I want to thank a few people who make this race possible for me. Hermen, my co pilot, pit crew and after-race celebration team. I like my rice with beans! Becky, thanks for the loaner car while I got my car ready... I need it for a few more days until I get that exhuast fixed and some paint back on her. Also thanks for reminding me that competition is good, but having fun is good to. To everyone who helped with the car at all, Ramon and Ramiro for helping to sand and work on the paint and everyone who gave me advice. Lastly to Furrin, my new car club for giving me the chance to race and learn the sport.

I will be back! I will be faster! I will have paint on my car!

No comments: