12.02.2021

One More Scar

Summer of 1997 I had an ACL replacement surgery and had my meniscus scoped. It was a pretty big scar, a couple actually, it was a long healing process and despite the hard work post op I never ended up playing soccer like I had wanted to... the injury happened my senior year, a season with a lot of promise, was cut short just a few games into the season by the injury. 

Summer 2021 my knee didn't turn just right getting up and I knew something was wrong. I babied it, I went to the doctor, who did X-rays and recommend physical therapy. I did that, followed orders, but no major improvement. I was not in pain, but I couldn't really run, and my activity was very decreased. So back to the doctor and got sent to see an orthopedic surgeon. 

There I was given two options, pain management to keep current activity levels, or surgery to regain my normal activities. I had been planning more triathlons, and hopefully a 70.3 Ironman... but of course those plans were all stopped with no running, biking or swimming at all since May. 

I chose surgery, easy choice, I love running, and enjoyed the challenge that triathlons brought me and I wanted to continue. 

November 11, 2021 I had my meniscus repaired. In the grand scheme of things it is a fairly minor, and honestly becoming routine surgery. I think my crutch picture got me more sympathy than I deserved but I appreciated everyones concern. 

That was three weeks ago. Today I rode a bike for just over 20 minutes. I have a long way to go, I won't be able to run they say now until maybe February (was originally hoping for January). Not sure when I can get cleared to swim, no rush there I hate swimming, but it is an important part of triathlons. :)


So I wanted to check in since my last post on social media was about my surgery. Interestingly in the past month or so I also had surgery on my eye, and my Z even got a new scar... turning around at my garage space I hit a commercial truck... so my and I both have new scars. HA. (at least I can laugh about it)

Don't worry I am taking my time and following doctors orders. Doing PT three times a day at home, now twice a week at a professional facility and icing and doin all the things to be back as soon as possible. 

I think scars are like visible memories. Reminders of pain, loss, but also of growth, repair, renewal, a reminder of just how strong our bodies (and skin) really are for us. This year I got a few more scars, and hopefully good comes of most of them.

Well here goes to December, a new month, heading into a new year, getting ready to see what this knee can do, finish up my Z work, and hopefully start a new normal in 2022. 

No comments: