9.15.2013

New Week. New Career. New Challenge. New THE.

Today is Monday, September 16th, 2013 and I am starting my new full time career in Non-Profit Administration. I spent the last couple weeks working part-time at La Casa de Amistad to transition into the role, and now I am here in full force. Despite mentally preparing myself for the role... I am still weirdly nervous, like I haven't been before until now.

I have experience in non-profit. I have served on the boards of the Western Region Greek Association (now AFLV), I was a founding board member of HazingPrevention.org and served as president of my fraternity national board (SLB). In graduate school my program was a couple classes away from being an MPA that I actually wanted to do, but to keep my fellowship I had to be in the M.Ed program. I now serve as a member on my fraternity foundation board, and have had fundraising experience through several other positions in my career.

In the Latino community I also have plenty of experience. The Mayor and City Council appointed me to the City's Diversity Utilization Board, I am a member of the Hispanic Leadership Coalition and serve on many important committees around the local area.

So why am I nervous? The board selected me, from other qualified applications, and I have been well received in the media and throughout the community. I think what has been keeping up at night is the reason I am looking forward to this position...

I get to be the difference... and THE difference can be positive or negative. Through La Casa, my work can be THE change for a student to get on track with school, or THE change can be to support a family through hard times so they make it to good times, or THE change can be to see a student graduate who years before wanted to quit...

It keeps me up knowing there is great need, and I know we can't meet any of those needs without help from others. It will be my job to connect those who care, with those who need. To find ways to bring together those who need with solutions that work.

La Casa has been a cornerstone of the Latino community in South Bend for 40 years, and we need to solidify that foundation and grow our influence so we can push back the streets. We are at a critical time in our community, and I hope together we can make THE difference.


No comments: