6.07.2020

Quarantine Reflection: Personal Changes - Part 1

We know a lot of things have changed under quarantine, and many things will never be the same. Some things we will wish could go back, and many we will be glad have changed. Whether it is the #BlackLivesMatter movement, how we shop, how/where we work... it will be a brave new world when this is all over. Things will change if we make them, so now is the time.

During my quarantine reflections I have thought a lot about who I am, what I am doing, why I do it, and more importantly what I should do differently. I honestly got really depressed earlier this year about my life/work balance, and quarantine at first made it worse, and then clarity came. Talking to a counselor made me realize I need to do things to work on me. I started thinking on some personal changes I could do to make me the better version of me that I know I can be... well here in a few blogs I will discuss those. It is all still changing but basically here is my list and my first blog discussion (ideally a blog on each coming as I have time). 

My main changes (so far): 

More Family Focus - quarantine allowed me to see just how much I was missing of my kids and how much more time I want to have with them. I need time focused on them, and less time when I fit them around work. I can fit work around them, and still be good at my work. 

Enjoy My Age - From what I drive to my schedule, I feel like I needed to upgrade to being in my 40s. Most of my friend group is younger, and I still travel and work with college students... but I can't drive small sporty cars forever (well not daily) and my body needs more sleep. So I bought a grown up car (blog on that adventure soon) and am working on my schedule post quarantine. 

Get Back to Hobbies - I wrote about this HERE already. It's been nearly a month since I wrote that, my Datsun Z is nearly ready to roll for the summer, my basement "Car Cave" as Cruz called it is pretty much done (before/after pics coming soon), and I am enjoying Hot Wheels and all three kids are enjoying it with me. I needed something else besides work to do in my spare time, and this has made a big different for me. 

Break From Beer - A year ago I went 30 days without alcohol for final training for my triathlon. I lost weight, felt better, and for my first tri turned a decent time for an old guy. I hatched an idea for an ultra multi-day protest run and I thought might as well train during quarantine. What I planned as a 30 day alcohol drought turned into 60, then 90 and now who knows... even with quarantine lifted I am sticking to it. So here is my first of a longer reflection. 

I am sure anyone has thought, man what if I didn't drink? Impossible right? Maybe not. 

Some of my favorite memories were times that included alcohol. Fun college nights, celebration events, graduations, reunions, or even just a beer with my dad on the patio. It's what you do to mingle, to see friends, to network, it's a core part of daily life. Why avoid it? 

Some of the times I wish I could do over, included alcohol, or were maybe because of alcohol. However, would avoiding alcohol cause the change? Not exclusively not, so why avoid it? 

Family will still be Brew Werks regulars! 
If I cut out alcohol, could I still do all the cool things I normally enjoy with alcohol? I think that is part of what held me back in the past from trying to make the decision. Everyone knows I love the Brew Werks, is it only cause of the beer? No, I remember the month I was training I still went a lot, but didn't have beer. I could do it again for 30 days, but longer? I did it in quarantine, could I do afterwards? 

People know I like a challenge, I like doing things that are hard, so here we go. I am not sure how long I want it to last, so far it's not felt impossible. It's been easier in quarantine, but even when Brew Werks opened up I just told the staff I wasn't drinking, and the ice teas kept getting refilled with no questions. 

So if you see me out, I will probably still buy you a beer, but don't need to buy me one. I'll take an ice tea, unsweetened please (still training for a potential run), and more than happy to talk work, life or whatever without a beer in my hand. 

Thanks to everyone who will help me make this commitment last. 


No comments: