3.28.2021

Vacuuming the Titanic

This weekend I vacuumed newly installed carpet. 

A few weeks ago I dusted newly painted spaces, months ago I swept after demolition started, and sometimes it honestly felt like we were never going to get it done. Like I was rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic... but today it felt like we were so close to success that nothing can stop us. 

This week I spent time with my dad and Cruz refinishing tables for our citizenship class. My dad is a naturalized citizen, and Cruz is a born and bread Hoosier. I am in the middle, born in another country but with birthright Citizenship, so I never had to take the test. I want to teach Cruz that his privilege of citizenship, is because of the sacrifice his grandfather made. I think this week we helped connect those dots a little more. 

While managing volunteers at our building project (El Sueño Project) has been hard... often times frustrating honestly, it has been a labor of advocacy. We are getting the chance to tell others not just about our work, but about why the work is important. 

We have been working nearly every Saturday at the building for the past 6 months (or more actually) and we have a few more weeks on interior work, and a few months on exterior work... I will continue going up to move things, organize... and sometimes just walk around and think about this dream, this project and grab a vacuum and clean. 

No comments: