12.23.2003

Haircut, down pour and the fire alarm
We got Miguel, I got a hair cut (yes of course they charged me extra), checked out some construction sites, thought about retiring in Bolivia, had a down pour in Santa Cruz, our micro never showed up, and the taxis would not stop for us. Just another non-typical day for me in Bolivia. Read on for pictures.

12-22-2003 Hair cut at rock high gringo prices
I met my tio Ruben at 11am, we had an hour and half to kill before Miguel arrived. So I went to get my haircut. He knew a place that was only 5 bolivianos (about 75 cents american, wow, beat that Master Cuts!). I love Bolivian hair cuts. The lady cut all my hair without clippers, she manually cut it all short. She made great work of my naps in no time at all. Then, she shaved the side burns and neck line with a straight blade razor. Nothing is better then a straight razor shave. Smooth. As she finished up and put talcum powder on my neck I went to pay... and guess how much she wanted? 10 pesos. I thought the price was 5? I just smiled like a dumb gringo and gave her the money. My tio have her a look, and she said, its extra for Christmas. Come on... just admit you charge me more cause you know I got it. Little does she know I pay 13 bucks for my haircuts in the USA.

Then we went to the bus station. As we pulled up Miguel was already sitting there. He got there two hours early and had been sitting waiting for us. Off we went to tio Jorge's house for lunch. We got there in time for lunch... and what as lunch it was! My favorite, chuño, with rice, the tomato/onion salad and saice de pollo. It was so good, I ate way to much and then we sat at talked. After a while we left with tio Ruben and Jorge and we went to some of Ruben's construction sites. Ruben is a civil engineer and he is in charge of some of the larger construction jobs in the city. We visited a few places and talked about the prices of houses. He is working with some places, private gated communities with a pool, guards, nice yards and plenty of parking close to downtown for only 25-30,000 dollars. What a place to retire to right? Hum, got me thinking...

We stopped for some afternoon coffee and relaxation. Bolivian's like to relax, I got to remember that when I get back to the states. We sat, talked about politics, the amount of statues in the city, names of the streets, anything that came to mind. It was great, and as it got later Miguel and I walked to the plaza central and hangout. While we were in an internet cafe we heard some commotion. A police man came and started breaking the glass around the fire extinguisher. So what did I do? Grabbed my camera and followed him, it was just a small fire in a furniture store across the street. I took a few pictures and then headed back to the internet.

After that we walked to my primo Oscar's house which was a few blocks away. He took us to eat some steak tenderloin sandwiches. Man they were good. We walked in the rain some more and then waited for our Micro... but it never came. Over an hour of waiting and nothing. Then we went on a taxi. We got the guestroom ready for Miguel, the abuelita worried if we would be warm enough, and then we went to sleep. Well not to sleep, Miguel is ready the back issues of MacAddict I brought him and I am writing this post. I am about to edit some photos to post with this tomorrow. Look out!

12-23-2003 Picture time!
Miguel likes to sleep in. I wanted to get downtown early to get on the internet and post pictures before we have lunch with abuelito. He wanted to eat duck today, but in typical abuelito style he forgot that they only do the ducks on Monday. So next week when I return from La Paz we will go. I love all the different types of food we have here all the time, too bad not on Tuesday though huh? Not the same dull burgers and chicken we get in the states all the time. Something different each day. Either way, I will post about that meal later. For now, enjoy the pictures, and now I must return home, my Tio Jorge is cooking milanesa.
Pictures!

Another view of the plaza in Santa Cruz.

All the stores have pretty girls that hassle and flirt with you until you buy. This girl told me I was the best looking gringo she ever saw, so of course I had to buy a shirt! First person to not call me fat!.


The gas stations all have cute girls that come out and pump your gas.

This was from the night out, these were some of the models walking around handing out flyers.


The flamico dancers.

They were so good.


There were bands and entertainers all over. The place we ate had a jazz band there.

The avenue was just full of people.


The bar owed by DC United Star Marco Echevarria.

The Centellas gang at dinner. It was so good.


The abuelitos before the birthday party.

The clown was great, Maira is the one in the yellow shirt by the window. Over 40 kids showed up.


Cutting the birthday cake, they sang happy birthday in English.

Fernando and I on the way to Samaipata.


The views from the road were awesome, the highway was right on the side of the mountain the entire time.

Here is a picture of the crash, crazy huh?.


A wooden rope bridge that my primo Oscar wanted to cross. I felt like Indiana Jones, just without the indians chasing us. Well actaully the indians were chasing us, but instead of spears they had their hands out asking for change.

The gang again. You can tell we spent a lot of time together. My tio Jorge´s kids showed me around the most so far.


On top of the mountain. Behind us was about a 500 meter drop.

The fort, built at over 2000 meters above sea level.


Our crazy Samaipata eating experience.

At a worksite of my tio Ruben. In the picture from LEft to right, Miguel, Ruben and Jorge.


The down pour in Santa Cruz.

Dinner with Oscar and Miguel.


No comments: