12.17.2003

Update
While in Bolivia I will write often, and post when I get the chance. So it will be more of a digest instead of daily posts. I will have dates throughout my posts to let you know where I am and what I did. Pictures will be posted when I can, but more the most part I doubt it at least until I get to La Paz with Miguel.

12-15-2003 The Trip
Well I am on the plane to Miami right now. It got delayed at O'Hare and I am a little worried about how tight my time will be to get to my terminal for my flight to Bolivia. This is two days in a row I was delayed in O'Hare... coincidence? I think not.

I rode here with Hermen and Ramiro. While on the highway we got passed by some Betas from University of Michigan. Abel and Ricardo passed us, I happened to make eye contact with Abel and we were both surprised. We yelled at each other through open car windows at 80-mph and then went on our merry way. The airport was big and crazy. We got food for 30 bucks at some hot dog stand... 30 bucks! Ouch. But I covered it as a thanks to my Brothers for bringing me. Thanks again guys. Sorry we didn't get Giardanos Pizza Hermen, next time.

My flight got delayed, and I just happened to be sitting waiting next to the most annoying people ever some Wisconsin. Talk about weird uneventful stories, which they laughed at while telling. Man, some people just manage to entertain themselves with the most worthless things. Oh well.

The cool thing about the delay is that I got to chat with Novali more. She was funny, she kept saying things, telling me to look, and then she would crack up. Not sure what she was doing, but she found herself very funny. She made some funny animal sounds for me, and then told me she had to go, she was busy. Funny little girl. I will miss not seeing her for the holidays...

I just got done reading the new issue of Sport Compact Car. Guess what car was in the burnout section? None other then a Nissan NX 2000. Nice to see my model Nissan getting some media coverage. Now I am sitting wondering what it is that I forgot... I just know I forgot something. Maybe I will remember once I land in Miami.

My time in Miami was very short. Barely 40 minutes to cross that huge airport and get to my plane. Once on the plane it was a little delayed and I got to make some phone calls and say bye to those I had not called yet. Nothing like making those last minute calls before leaving the country.

With my luck I got to sit next to a family with kids. A little girl about 5, one about 7, and a boy about maybe 2 or 3. They are funny to watch, two parents trying to control three rowdy kids on a plane. I am sure many other passengers get annoyed, but I enjoy it. I guess I now see what mom and dad went through traveling with us three boys... bet we weren't much fun on the plane. When we were sitting in the airport the little girl asked, "Porque aren't we moving?" Reminded me of Novali's Spanglish.

I just got handed this customs sheet, not sure how to fill it out. Figure it isn't a huge deal or the directions would be more clear. So I am leaving a few things blank for now and I guessed on a few items. I did realize that I am not allowed to travel with two laptops, so I guess it is a good thing that I did not end up getting one for my cousin Ivan. It might have caused me trouble at the border.

The flight has a lot of Bolivian military on it, kinda strange. They have UN Badges and look really young. In a time of unrest throughout Bolivia this bothers me a little. Oh well, what can I do? Changing the subject, I wonder what the in-flight movie will be... but I think I am going to try to catch some Zs.

12-16-2003 The Landing
Well I landed. Touched down first in La Paz, then on to Santa Cruz. It felt good landing there, knowing I was back in Bolivia. It has been over 3 years since my last trip. I have been away from family, sites, and Bolivian food for far too long. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I am on the La Paz run way right now. The song Beautiful Day by U2 is on, the sun is glaring off the wing of the plane and the sights out my window are making my day. What is not making my day is that the captain keeps asking if there is a medical doctor on board. Hm... kinda like from the movie Airplane with Leslie Nielson. At least that is all I am thinking of. I took some pictures from the plane window of Mt. Ilimani. It was amazing, the sharp mountain peak breaking through the clouds with the sun reflecting off of the royal point.

Now I am waiting to fly home; funny that I still call Santa Cruz home. It always feels like home when I am there. My Spanish is mediocre at best, childhood memories of my family traditions leave much to be desired and I have not seen the faces of my family in over 3 years. I can't wait!

My Tio Adrian and abuelo came to get me from the Santa Cruz Viru Viru Airport. They were a sight for sore eyes. It was raining in Santa Cruz, a crazy down pore. It has been off and on since then, the roads are all wet. It feels good to be in town. My abuela is already fussing over me. Bringing me flip-flops to wear around the house, double-triple checking to see if I have had enough coffee, and reminding me that even though she can't see very well she will get me whatever I want. I am used to being really independent, but I know she needs to do some things for me to feel needed. Little does she know that all she needs to do is sit and tell me stories, but I guess some coffee goes well with abuela's stories, so I will let her get me another cup.

Tio Jorge and Tia Loyda will be my gracious hosts during my stay here. Oscar, one of my cousins near my age is coming over at 8 pm, I think we will go and see the Matrix. Last time I was here I saw Matrix part one like 5 times. I mean when a show is like $2 why not? The rest of the afternoon will be spent relaxing, stretching my legs and telling all the stories about the family back home to my abuelos.

I am excited to get out and see all the sites. Rio Pirai, Casco Viejo, La Plaza, Shopping Bolivar, and get my shoes shined downtown. The phone keeps ringing, all my cousins are calling. I am excited to see everyone. I am staying kinda far from town but taxis are cheap (well cheap to me) and micros are cheaper (20 cents American). Miguel is set to arrive here on Monday, then we will stay until after Christmas and then head to La Paz for New Years and lots of family visiting and sight seeing as well.

Santa Cruz has grown, a lot. But the good ol' downtown is unchanged. I headed down there after a short nap and a late lunch. I took Micro Azul 21, abuelo said it would pass right by the plaza. He even drew me a map, he took out his pencil (always has one in his shirt pocket) and his pad of paper and made a little map. I thought he actually meant right by the plaza. After noticing that downtown was getting farther away, I jumped off the micro and headed back. I realized the micro only went three blocks away from the plaza (the plaza was not in the drawing so I should of known). Good thing I still remember my way around Santa Cruz.

First stop; Kivon. Had to get some ice cream and cuñape at my all time favorite place. Next time I will stop and eat inside with the parrots, monkeys and other wildlife they might happen to have in their little tropical wonderland masquerading as an ice cream place. Got to love it. Pictures coming soon

Next stop; Plaza 24 de September. It has not changed, but was busier then ever. I could not find any sloths in the trees (sloths are my favorite animal), but I did use the rental cell phones. What is a rental cell phone you might ask, well let me explain. There are people in the plaza wearing colored vests, you go up to them, show them a phone number and they call for you. Once you are done with the call they check the minutes used and bill you. How convenient. You also can get your picture taken from an old school camera (I will get one tomorrow), buy flowers for your girl, or get a sweet shoe polish (Hermen you would be jealous). I used my call to tell my primo Oscar that I am downtown and he does not have to come to get me from the house. I decided to kill some time and then head to his work.

To welcome me home I got ripped off buying shoes. I wanted a nice pair of black shoes, and what better way to get welcomed home then to get hustled cause I am a gringo. Somehow during the negotiation I got confused and walked out thinking I got a good deal. But a few blocks and two cuñapes later... bam! It hit me, she ripped me off. I really need to carry a calculator on me. Either way 35 bucks for some nice dress shoes isn't bad, and I guess I am doing my part of circulating the Bolivia economy.

Once Oscar got off work we went to none other then... Toby Burger! Man it was just as good as I remember. His wife came along and we had a great walk (stopped at Kivon for more ice cream) and then headed home. I sat the rest of the night at the house. Had the typical Centellas discussion over politics and why Bolivia is still poor. Drank some Coca-Cola (seriously it tastes better here) and then went to bed.

Right now I am trying to sleep, but can't because I am anxious for tomorrow. The schedule for now is to head downtown and be a tourist. I will be packing the camera and taking Santa Cruz by storm. I will get all the pictures out of the way in one day. So hopefully I won't look too much like a tourist the rest of time (I think the pasty skin, poor spanish, wide-eyed look, and American clothes give me way anyways).

12-17-2003 Yes I am fat
I got up around 9 am, didn't want to pull a Miguel and sleep until noon. I had some good breakfast and watched the abuelos work around the house. My abuelos live here with my Tio Jorge, they have a spare room which is great and I am glad to have a place to stay. I dropped off some clothes to get washed, and now am going to jump in the shower.

Loyda's father was at the house this morning as well. When introduced the first comment was, "estas gordo." What's the deal? Every single member of my family has commented on my fatness. Not in a derogatory way, but still. Everyone here is so skinny and in shape. I guess I will have to get used to it, got a lot more family members to meet. Alright, the pity party is over, I got to get ready and hit the road.

First thing after hitting downtown... cyber cafe. I can not go much more then 3 days without internet. My mailbox fills up, and I just need to be connected. So first stop was to a computer. After this I am off to an exciting photo shoot of my Santa Cruz. Pictures coming soon

Los abuelos dicen hola a toda la familia alli! Abuelo reminded me 5 times before leaving to say that en mi pagina de internet. Lunch time.

No comments: