12.19.2003

Politics
Not sure what it is I miss the most about Bolivia. I do know that I miss talking about politics with the family. We talk politics while we eat, on the micro, during TV shows, and each night before bed. The family here is very well read and my abuelo remembers everything from back then (well kinda). Here is the new report, read to the bottom… cause guess what? Pictures!

12-18-2003 Irish Pub
On the blog of my brother Andres he mentioned the Irish Pub, a place I actually have never been to in Santa Cruz. The place is right on the plaza on the second floor of the Shopping Boliviar and has huge signs above it. I went up for a late lunch and checked it out.

The view was awesome, got some nice pictures from up there and a coke. The menu they brought me was in half English half Spanish (maybe I got the gringo version, but I think they are all like that). Also while I was up there I met a group of Canadian guys who were trying to pick up a pair of beautiful cruceñas who happened to be eating there as well. The food was not so good, and I always forget that in Bolivia refills on coke are not free (Ramiro this place is for you), so each time I get my bill anywhere I rack up the price on the refills. Which to a Bolivian is very expensive, I usually pay 5 Bolivianos per each coke, so for the 4 cokes I had, we are talking almost 3 dollars! For that I could of bought Toby Burger for myself and one of my cousins...

I took the long way home. I decided to walk the micro route, stopping along the way to take pictures and buy more items. I got a pair of head phones (the little ear bud ones) for one one dollar, and bought some DVDs. Well actually they are VCDs. I got American Pie II and the Gladiator. What is funny is that when you go into a store they ask you if you want the original DVD or if you wanted a copied VCD. DVDs are about 24 dollars and the VCDs are 3 bucks. Easy choice. The quality is not as great, but not that bad. All the stores here sell copied stuff, CDs, DVDs, VHS, mix tapes, everything.

After walking for more then an hour on my micro route I got tired. I had been walking all day, nearly 6 hours now. All the stuff I bought was getting heavy in my hand. So I stopped, flagged a micro and off I went home. Dinner was interesting as always. Abuelita trying to get a word in around abuelo and Jorge, the three of them arguing over a food recipe, which president ruined the country more, or who is playing futbol next week. Everyone once in a while Loyda and I would make eye contact, shrug our shoulders and watch them argue.

Now when I say argue I don't mean fight, I mean discuss, in a special Centellas kind of way. Anyone who knows my family well, knows us Centellas sure like to contradict whatever it is you have to say, and then argue it until we have no breath to keep on going. Or we get hungry, which ever comes first.

The abuelitos go to bed these days right after dinner. For being in their late 80's they sure look good. My abuelita has lost most of her eye sight but gets around just fine. My abuelito is still as feisty as ever. He works around the house in his sleeveless shirt, always quick to help my tio with anything.

Abuelita went to bed first, and then began another argument over a food recipe. We were talking about all the things I wanted to eat. On each recipe they would argue, over how much of this... how long you cook it... with rice or potatoes... how to prepare the yuca... the list goes on. What is funny is that my abuelito can barely cook, from what I have seen he is very slow in the kitchen and can rarely even find napkins in there let alone salt or other things to cook with. With abuelita not able to cook she sits in the kitchen and tells them what to do. I am excited to see this process. Monday... the Centellas family chefs (Jorge and Abuelo) and their instructor (Abuelita) will cook for Miguel and I. Can't wait.

Before bed I had some Mate with tio. He taught me some etiquete with the Mate and how to prepare it. I have to get me a good mate bowl to take home. He gave me a packet of his favorite mate and I can't wait to drink it at home. I think I might become a more avid mate drinker, replace coffee in my life.

12-19-2003 Fricase, fricase, fricase
I have a few foods in Bolivia that are my favorite. Of course you all have read about my love for cuñapes which are a small bread made with interesting cheese and floor (maybe my mom will leave a comment with the recipe). My true favorite food is chuño, which is a basically a freeze dried potato, but done naturally in the mountains, I can explain more to those interested later. I am sure on my way to La Paz I will pass by some places that make it. Then is my fricase... ah.

Fricase is a soup. Eating it is nearly a ritual here. Almost like Mexican menudo (but different meat), which is why I think I like Mexican soups like menudo and pozole so much over there. They cook the soup early in the morning and more typically on the weekends. Like menudo it is used for hangovers, or after a long night of partying. Me, I am just going with my tio and abuelito. Half the adventure was just watching them argue or which place we should go to, my abuelito saying, "If we take him to the wrong place his whole vacation will be ruined because he has some terrible fricase... let me pick the place, I know the best fricase in town." Everything to my grandpa is very dramatic.

Alright, I must shower and hit the road. Today will be fun. After the fricase I am going to my cousin David's work at 1:30. Then I am going to meet up with the rest of my cousins and tonight we are going out. I hope Miguel gets here soon, everyone wants to go to Semipata now, looks like we will have a big gang and it will be a blast! I got to get on ticket prices.

The fricase was great. Sitting with just the men was nice, had some Malta and fricase and then I headed downtown. I wanted to post this and them some pictures before going to David´s. It is crazy hot today, but a nice breaze is blowing so that helps a lot.

Pictures!

Picture from the window in La Paz from the plane. Mt. Ilimani.

Here you can see the difference from the two cities. This view of Rio Pirai shows how tropical the other side of the country is.


There is always some type of student protest in Santa Cruz. This is right on the plaza.

Around the main plaza are all the government buildings.


Beautiful palm trees line each side of the plaza.

The streets are always busy, vendors line each corner and everyone is on their cell phone.


The inside of the social that would not let me eat there cause of my attire.

I remember when they first built this, it was the tallest in Santa Cruz.


When I ran into the abuelitos in the plaza. They were feeding the pigeons.

I scared off the birds, but it made for a great picture.


Every store has pretty girls in front to try and lure you in. And if you set foot in the store they won´t let you leave until they have shown you everything. Talk about sales people on commision.

The Irish Pub in Shopping Bolivar. Great Location.


As I walk all the girls like to make gringo comments. These ones saw me with my camera and wanted me to take their picture.

Then I had the girls take my picture, finally a vacation picture that I am in. Gracias Cruceñas.


From the Irish Pub I had a great view of the Cathedral, beautiful huh

I also love the cars here, some of them you can not get in the USA. I have no clue what type of car this one.


Full size picture gallery coming soon.

No comments: