3.25.2004

Worth It
As many of you might know I am a little stressed right now. Work, the other job, freelance, Thesis, practicum, classes, and job search are all coming down on me pretty hard right now. I have been slowing working myself from under the pile of work and graduation is in sight.

I once read something written by someone in higher education called, "Why we give of our time." It was really good, it was about Latino administrators and why they work so hard to help create change even when it is unrewarding or change is slow in coming.

Well last night I was reminded why I give of my time. I have been at GVSU now for nearly two school years. I have loved most of it, I say most because nothing is perfect. Working with the Greeks at GVSU has been awesome and this week is Greek Week! So of course everyone is pumped and things are going very well. Last night was the Order of Omega Awards night. They give chapter awards for grades and and also Greek Man and Woman of the year awards. They also show a slide show, and at the end was a picture of Shawna and I, wishing us good luck as we move on. It was nice.

Then when we went up to present some of the awards Aaron said something and all the students stood and clapped. Shawna and I got a standing ovation. I would have never guessed. Maybe a quick clap, a few whistles from my brothers, and we move on. But all the students stood, it was awesome.

So now I feel good about the work I have done and that I did make a difference. Meeting with the a chapter president instead of doing homework, attending Greek events at night when I had already been on campus for 10 hours, donating money to every student who asked (man I have never bought so much cookie dough and carmel popcorn), trips to campus just to meet with a student about something important, having those uncomfortable challenging discussions with students, and being the mean advisor when needed (I hated doing it, but knew it had to be done).

I wish there was a way I can tell the students what impact they had on me. I learned more then I thought I could about myself these last few years. About how hard it really is to be a student leader and do the right thing, and how much students still care about Greek life. I can't wait to get a full time job doing this!

No comments: