10.05.2010

Whoa Karting

So tonight was the monthly meeting of my car club. For those who don't know, I am a member of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) through the South Bend Region (SBR). We have a monthly meeting on the first Tuesday of the month. I am the chair of our Street Survival Program and of course do my racing with the club.

Well for this monthly meeting we decided to go Karting. Besides at amusement parks or things like that I have never done "real" karting. So this was an adventure for me and man it was FUN. We went to Michiana Raceway Park out near North Liberty, IN.
It was a really fun track layout and the cars were a lot faster than I thought they would be... It was easy to spin the cars in a circle but once I got the hang of it man it was fun drifting them around corners.

I was surprised that the karts didn't have harnesses or seat belts. We were required to wear fire jackets, neck supports, gloves and full face helmets though. Surprisingly the seats kept you in tight, even when you were getting bump drafted or spun out in a circle...
We got to run in groups of 8 at a time on the track. We got three run heats in before it got dark and we had to stop. On my first time out I ended up 7th of the 8... but for a first timer not so bad I thought. For the second heat I moved up to 6th, and then for the final run I was getting the hang of it and moved up to 4th!
So it was a fun night, I for sure want to do this again sometime. Now I want to take Novali out there and see if she really wants to drive a KART. It would be an expensive toy, but man it would be fun! Then Lemon can grow into it and drive it as well! I smell family hobby coming on...

1 comment:

Beverly Centellas said...

wouldn't it be easier to polish gem stones......?