10.23.2011

How Do You Get Frosty Off the Couch?

This weekend it was just Novali and I together. Heather and Cruz went to Michigan for a family event, I couldn't go because I had some work events and so it was a good chance for a fun daughter daddy weekend (working).

Novali constantly reminds me that I have the coolest job, which I must say is fairly accurate. She likes coming to work and so its not a bother when I need to bring her along. She has gotten to know so many people that I work with and knows our campus better than most students I know!

Friday night was the second annual LSU Night at the SAC. Novali was excited for the Day of the Dead dance, some Zumba, pizza and of course SeƱora Cynthia and the LSU crew. We got there around 10PM (yes I know past her bedtime), I got some work done for my events the next day and she hung out, shot pool, danced, and had a great time. The LSU event was from 9PM to 9AM... we couldn't stay all night, but we managed to survive until a little past midnight (yes I know, WAY past her bedtime).

Saturday we got up mega early to make it for the 7AM Zumba class taught by none other than Novali's favorite student Sineyda! She ran down to do Zumba while I set up for Make a Difference Day. This was the first time we did it at IU South Bend, and we combined with another first time event "Scholars Give Back Day" as well. We had over 70 students signed up and nearly 10 staff to do service!

Novali has been wanting to do service for the Center for the Homeless ever since we donated clothes at CFH. Since I had lots of coordinating to do, she tagged along with that group and luckily as always my great students helped keep an eye on her. She enjoyed the experience and to my surprise later we had a reflection time about what she did and what she learned... yep, me the Service Learning guy... who'da figured?

I shuttled vans, got people places, made sure people didn't get lost, and then because we were short volunteers I ended up at Southfield Village, a retirement community. We were scheduled for a "Pamper Day" and I was knee deep in chatting up the old ladies and even did some back rubs. I was not however asked to help with nail painting, probably better off anyways....

We wrapped up volunteering, lunch and then Novali and I went home around 3pm... to only take some short naps and turn around and come back at 5pm to help set up for the Hallopalooza at housing that evening. Novali brought her Dorothy costume from last year and required me to dig up something... short on time I just grabbed some of my racing stuff (helmet, jacket) and some patches that Novali stuck on my Nissan Zippy.Novali enjoyed helping to wire up the lights. Her and Sara one of my staffers worked well together and maybe Novali has a future in stage production? She learned all about the light controller, how to flash and chase the lights, etc. She was a pro by the end of the night...

We left around 9PM (yes past her bedtime), we got some Wendy's Frosty's and went home to watch ND on TV. Well we were tired... so we didn't last the whole game before we both passed out. Unfortunately she hadn't finished her Frosty yet...

So today she is working on homework, I am doing some chores and trying to figure out the best way to get Frosty out of the couch...

No comments: