1.05.2016

Border Journey: Rain and Sunshine

The Wall
This morning we left at 6AM... we ate quick and headed down the highway across the Sonoran desert to Nogales Mexico. The cold came, the rains came, but we were protected inside our large passenger van. If you have never crossed a border let me tell you that nearly each time brings a heavy feeling, today it was heavier.

The feeling of heavy weighed because we know what we would see and hear would challenge our perceptions and bring us in a very unadulterated fashion with America's phantom menace... undocumented immigrants.

My friends that knew I was coming know that I have been trying to prepare my myself emotionally for what I would see at the border. I wasn't prepared.

My friend getting interviewed
It rained and was cold in Mexico. We went to work with the Kino Border Initiative who run a shelter and place for deported migrants to get lunch and other critical services. We met the humble Father Pete Neely and his team of volunteers and Jesuits. we served meals and got to talk to migrants and hear their stories. We have an ND Camera crew here documenting our journey to tell this story to a broader audience. So we stick out when we travel...

I am still processing and taking in what I heard. I was blessed to talk to a father of three kids who are back in Mesa with his wife. His son goes to high school near my in-laws, he has kids my age, his wife is home alone with three kids... like mine right now. So yeah, still soaking that in, and my wife and kids are a comfortable plane ride away.

We had a great lunch and while the food was amazing, the atmosphere was still fairly somber. Luckily the group wasn't overly picky on the food. I enjoyed a Corona in Mexico. We got to meet the owner, I bought some Cuban rum around the corner, and we walked around the town and along the ever present wall.

Mission San Xavier
Interestingly as we left the border the sun came out. We got waived through the border with no problems, one quick question, one quick yes, and back in the USA. On the road back we stopped at Mission San Xavier de Bac which is on the lands of the Tohono people. We noted how interesting it was the sun peaked during our stop at the church.

Afterwards we met with a powerful activists from Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) organization. The director, Isabel Garcia, broke down legal issues, talked about project streamline, and reminded us about the importance of advocacy if we hope for things to get better any time soon. Her words came with a special bite and passion and while nearly making the challenge seem impossible... made it clear we must all find ways to help.

Like yesterday during mass she had three important words for us that struck a cord....

Fear. Ignorance. Arrogance.

We ended the night with some drinks, and just relaxing with some of the folks on the trip. Tomorrow we will go to a federal courthouse and watch the fabled operation streamline... Do some research 

Couple more powerful days... stay tuned and check my Facebook for additional photos.


No comments: