1.03.2016

Border Journey: Mariachi Mass

Airport Cactus Selfie
I arrived in Tucson on Saturday with a group of from the University of Notre Dame. Most of the group is ND faculty, I am here representing La Casa de Amistad as a university community partner. We are here to learn about border issues and are working with a company called Border Issues. When I heard about the trip I couldn't pass up on the opportunity.

We arrived and of course the weather was the first thing I noticed... I know it won't be the most impactful thing this week and I can't wait for all this trip has to offer. I really enjoyed about today was learning more about my group. It was interestingly to hear the backgrounds of my group, to learn about their kids, their backgrounds, their academic and personal interests and why they wanted to come on this trip.

Listening to Lupe Castillo
Sunday morning we got to the grind right away... early mornings and late nights will be the name of the game this week. It reminds me of the times I spent taking students on Alternative Spring Breaks many years ago... like the long days in Honduras with my students from Albion College or my time in the Appalachians with IUSB students. It was nice not being in charge on this trip... I get to sit back and learn and focus on everything Border Links our host organization set up for us.

We started the morning with Guadalupe Castillo, a community organizer who has been involved in too many organizations to list. She told a great story of the history of immigration, but what impressed me the most was when I asked her about her greatest accomplishment... she listed things that others did... so humble. Then she said she is proudest of what some of her former students accomplished. Her humbleness touched me, and inspired me to remember to not seek personal recognition, but to fight a good fight regardless of personal credit.

Beautiful bell at Southside Preb
Then we went to a Mariachi Mass at Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church. It was such a beautiful blend of cultures with the music in Spanish, but the mass lead in Spanish and the room was extremely diverse. The homily was about learning from a journey... what a fitting way to focus our minds and hearts. It was a story of the three wisemen, and they they had to have faith, trust, and be willing to give in order to make an impact.

Faith. Trust. Willingness To Give. 

After a quick lunch we went for a special Samaritan training at Southside Presbyterian. This church was one of the key places of the Sanctuary Movement. It was four powerful hours of learning about the number of deaths in the desert, the legal rights of humanitarian workers on the border, and then real world training on how we will be able to help in the desert.

Of course we need some fun on the trip... and while our center is fully vegetarian that means I went over 24 hours without meat. So we took a long walk home that happened to include a stop at a place that sells a great Sonoran Dog...

I was really moved because it reminds me that the work of La Casa de Amistad is making a difference, and that I need to find ways to involve and include even more people in the work that we do there. I also love to see the perspectives of others and learn why and how they formed their opinions.

Tomorrow we cross the border... we will go to a comedor where migrants who have been deported go for a meal. I am preparing myself for another focused day of reflection and introspection.

Check out my Facebook page for additional photos. CLICK




No comments: