8.23.2016

You Used To Race There

This weekend was I think my 20th Tire Rack Street Survival school. I kinda lost count, but man I enjoy it, and for the past 6 plus years have been the chair for the local schools. It is one of my volunteer engagements here locally. For those not familiar, you can read more about this amazing teen driving program here: http://streetsurvival.org/

On Friday when I go for set up, I took Cruz with me. I figured he would like to see some of the race cars they have around there, and the huge rims. As we pulled up to the Tire Rack test track Cruz says, "You used to race there."... he remembered from maybe once, or twice when he would of been little he came out when I would race there. Good memory, especially since I haven't raced, done an autocross, or anything competitive motorsports now in 3 years. WOW.

I remember the first Team PLP Autocross with the Furin Group in Grand Rapids with Hermen. I remember moving to South Bend and being excited about getting to join an active Sports Car Club of American chapter. I remember buying my Datsun and excited to drive it. I remember winning my first season in it, still have the bag with "1st Place STR" on it... now tucked away in a closet.

1st Autocross in the Z (2010)
The Datsun broke, I don't have time or money to fix it. Also to be clear, not that I don't have any money, but that other priorities are higher. I need to buy diapers, cross country shoes, fix the car, new glasses, save for retirement, diapers, fix the roof, new brakes, and well that Datsun never makes it on the list. What was supposed to be a fun escape, has turned into a oldly shaped landscaping tool shelf in the middle of the garage.

So what is the point of this blog? I don't know, maybe to reminisce about my Z, to rehash my priorities, to remind myself that there is always tomorrow, I am not sure the point. I just know that I wanted to write something, and nothing about work, but about things I just like to do. I think it is important that we remind ourselves of our passions and our fun, especially when stress is high, and things feel like you can never please anyone. Just remember that day, grinding a gear in my Datsun or that day I was FTD in my SpecV in Grant Rapids, or when Team PLP held it down at GVSU with our ladies cheering us on.

So when you are stressed, find your zen, go there, even if it is just in a memory. Be there, and don't let anyone take it from your past, or rob it from your future. Make it happen... my Z will ride again, and I will drive again soon, and take Cruz with me, to the place I used to race.

No comments: