11.19.2018

Pumpkin Pie Titan

Just over ten years ago I set foot on the campus of IU South Bend as the new Director of Student Life. That job made me a Hoosier, made me a #IHeartSouthBend groupie, and connected my family and I forever to this community.

I was there when the first students moved onto campus, there when we planned major concerts, when we added sports, when campus was growing, started Greek Life, and just plain out had a great time, with amazing staff, and supported some stellar students.

Over the past ten years I have gotten to see my former students go on to grad school, professional careers, community leaders and I even hired one at La Casa. Over the past 6 years I got to watch campus from a far, but still got to poke around campus here and there as a guest speaker, panelist, event volunteer and this summer even got to be an adjunct professor for a class. I always get a little nostalgic when I am on campus for something.

Last week I walked onto the IUSB campus and ate this delicious pumpkin pie. No I don't normally like fall pumpkin everything, and first thing I thought was man Cruz will be jealous (he loves pumpkin pie).

It was the end of lunch in the Chancellor's Dinning Room that was part of the campus advisory board meeting (campus Board of Directors), and it got me reflecting on my time as a Titan. Board Page: LINK

It was a huge honor when the chancellor asked me to serve. Honestly I thought, am I ready for this? At my first meeting I sat between a Mayor and major business owner turned elected official. The list of people on the board is like a local Who's Who, and then me.

Then I looked across the table from me and there sat Karen White. The Karen White, the person who interviewed me now over 11 years ago for a job at IUSB, the city council member, long time community leader, and all around amazing person. She introduced me to this community, she taught me to realize potential, nominated me for roles, trusted me and always gave me feedback (positive or negative). Thank you Karen for believing in me.

I am looking forward to this role with IUSB. To all my Titan friends, past and current students, faculty or staff... #GoTitans!

No comments: