10.02.2003

Far from Western
It is a Thursday night. I had a fun day; was productive in my morning meetings, had lunch with Becky, office hours in the Student Organization Center (SOC) was a good time as usual, went shopping to the mall with Hermen, and got a different phone (hopefully this one will work better).

However, it is late and I am not going out. Why? You might as yourself, I ask myself the same question. When I got back from the store, I munched on some chips and salsa and chatted on IM with some friends, caught up with some olds ones, and got to know some new people better. I love AIM, I used to hate it, but I have grown to love it.

Tonight my excursion is to the laundry mat. Not just any ordinary place, it is in a Speedway gas station. I am not alone, Hermen is with me. If I am hungry I can grab a hot dog, microwave a sandwich, get a 64oz pop (who needs that much liquid?) or buy some animal crackers and bleach. This place has it all. But I am still wondering, why am I here on a Thursday night? And what does it have to do with the title "Far from Western."

When I was at Western Thursday were the big night out. We (Vic, Doogie, Gary, Megan, Rudy, or whoever was around) would generally start the night at good ol' Waldos. Mixed drink pitchers were like 5-6 bucks and it made a good place to meet up. Depending on the night, or who I was with would determine which location we would hit next. If I was with Megan and some other IFC/NPC Greeks we would hit up the Tap Room (affectionately called the Frat Room because of the high Greek attendance). If it was a night Vic and I managed to drag Rudy and Gary out of the house we would hit up Club Soda for Latin Night.

The Tap Room trips meant talking about Greek stuff, cute sorority girls, fraternity guys hoping to impress girls with their car or buying them enough drinks so they do not realize they lacked personality, non-Greeks wondering why they came, and the DJ pretending he was in a real club like in Chicago or something. All around a typically good Kalamazoo time.

The Club Soda trips were something else. Glad we never paid cover, teaching gringas how to dance, pretending we were better dancers then we really were, seeing the same people who were there when we started Latin Nights there four years ago, half off drinks 'til 11, and trips to either Big Burrito or Chester Chicken before heading back to the Epsilon Estate.

But tonight, Hermen and I sat at Speedway, wondered why our socks and jean pockets never get dry, used lots of quarters, were impressed by how many other people eat their hot dogs besides us, and came home with some Burger King (extra zesty sauce, its the best).

I miss Western, Homecoming is next weekend there, I am very excited to be back again. I have made trips there a few times this semester, but I am seriously looking forward to seeing some old friends. I never went back to Homecomings for High School, I guess I am excited to make up for that and keep up with WMU friends. Tonight got me nostalgic, I know the Betas and Gammas from WMU are out at Club Soda, and I really wanted to be there, but I was at Speedway.

Well I need to finish my Burger King. Busy day tomorrow.

No comments: