7.18.2013

Beta Homeland Reflections

Its been two years since I was in Iowa City... I remember it was when Cruz was just a little man and we made it a family trip to Iowa. This trip I Facetimed with him in front of the Danforth Chapel, the site were our fraternity was founded. What was funny is that when we facetimed, in the background was the picture in our living room of the Danforth. Coincidence, I think not...maybe it was fate.
Cruz and I on Facetime
I have been in transition with the fraternity. It is now over a year that I have been the "Immediate Past National President". During this period I have been trying hard to stay out of conversations about what direction the fraternity has taken since I left. This year was the first year in nearly ten years that I didn't attend our summer leadership program... it hurt my heart not attend but I wanted to be sure I am giving space to the new board.

I am involved with the Sigma Lambda Beta Education Foundation and serve as a member of the Board of Trustees. It has been a role I also served on while on the fraternity's board, but now I can dedicate more time to the projects. I helped design and launch our new L.I.F.T. (Leadership Institute For Tomorrows Leaders) Endowment.The hope would be that someday, we have enough money that all our members could attend for FREE... lofty goal, but important goals are never easy.
Not normally a tank top guy... but no AC made me do it.
It was a good weekend... the weather was nice, and it was great Brothers coming together for our cause. I had some challenges on the trip... my AC recently went out in my Element... so it was to be a long hot ride. Then a big rock cracked my windshield... nothing was going to stop me from having a good Beta weekend. Shot out to Safelite and Liberty Mutual for getting it fixed for me while I was in Iowa!

I always get nostalgic or in Beta terms we call it "Neo Fever" when we feel like a brand new member all excited about all the little things in Iowa City. I took my nice camera for some shots around of the trip. I will get an album up soon when I get time. The chapel were our founders met, the campus and halls they walked when creating an organization that has now touched so many lives.
Like a Neo I popped my TeeKee on when I arrived!
I think this trip was important for me, a chance to talk fraternal business with long time friends and Brothers. It was a time to know what I am doing is making a difference, and a chance more importantly to refuel and engage again in this new phase of my volunteer involvement. It was good timing as Eddie Diaz a long time staff member is leaving the team and we had a little shin dig for him... what happens in Iowa City... stays mostly on Twitter but some just stays in the 319.
My TeeKee had never been to the Danforth.. there she is back home.
On that note... if any of you would love to give to a great cause... Our new LIFT Endowment was created to try and give more of our members an opportunity to attend out Leadership Institute. Right now cost is restrictive, and you could help... click here, make a profile or use your current one and make a gift.... L.I.F.T.
Mary Peterson on her famous porch...
Thank you Iowa City, thank you Mary Peterson, thank you fellow staff and other trustees... it was a great weekend. I needed that for this old Beta Soul.  Peace. /\B.

No comments: