7.07.2013

Pure Michigan Family

The American Centellas clan is spread around the country. We all converged this weekend in our old stomping grounds, Saginaw, MI. Raquel is the only one left in Saginaw, Andres is off in Philly, I am in South Bend, Miguel is down in Oxford, MS and my parents just returned from Bolivia and drove up to visit from their new place in Florida.
Welcome to Saginaw.
It was a good time to also try to see our Coates side of the family, as my mom grew up in Saginaw much of our family is in the area still or also happened to be visiting for the holiday weekend. Like any good Centellas vacation we had a lot planned in a short trip...

The Fourth was our busy day... my mother wanted family photos done, and we all scheduled to take pictures at a little park in Freeland. Kate served as photog, we all served as kid wranglers, and everyone served as master photo arrangement experts... ha. We got them done, and can't wait to see what they all turned out like! The kids (for the most part) behaved and posed well in groups!

Then we had breakfast at the Riverside restaurant and I think we had 30 people! I will be honest I lost count... My Coates Grandparents came, both my uncles, cousins, and tons, like TONS of kids running all over. My grandparents are from the generation of hard work, ingenuity and family. My grandpa owned his own garages (Coates Tire) and grandma worked at a bank. I got to ask my grandpa what his favorite car he ever owned was... his reply, a 1960s white Oldsmobile convertible that he he bought new and paid cash money for it. Then my uncle John took it to Homecoming, sprayed temp paint on it to decorate it... except the paint wasn't so temporary... he laughed. (I need to find a photo of that car).
Freeland for breakfast

Grandma and Grandpa Coates and family (John, Bev, Ed)
Then it was a trip to Pratt Lake in Gladwin, MI. I spent hours and hours up there as a kid, learned to swim, learned to fish, learned to water ski, learned about the importance of sun screen and much much more. My cousin Cathy and her husband bought the place a few years back and I am glad we still have it in the family. On my streak of grandpa questions I asked him how he got the place...
They used to go camping up on the lake... and one day my grandpa thought he saw a for sale sign. So they turned in, and saw the place. Weirdly he said when they returned they never saw the for sale sign on the main street... so something drew them to the place. They checked it out, and my grandpa gave the guy a low ball offer, and of course, in cash money. He told me as they negotiated, he told grandma to write a check (my grandpa didn't write well) and he handed it to the guy. Said take it or leave it, check will be good on Monday. The guy took it... and then asked about when to get his furniture out of the house, grandpa said, I bought the place and all its contents... have a good day. Cash is King. My grandpa worked hard to always be sure he was on the King side of a negotiation.
Grandma and Grandpa Coates with Gael.
That evening Miguel and Kate took their kids (Javi and Zoe) to the Bay City fireworks.... I haven't been in years but I was spent and Cruz knocked out. Novali went with them and enjoyed the show.

Friday was another busy day. We started it with our first event Centellas baby naming ceremony. When we welcome Kelly Quaye into the family we knew we would be getting some Manx Gaelic traditions. Andres and Kelly gave their intentions for the baby, explained the name, and named the guardians. My mother, and father read something as well. Then grandpa Coates closed with a prayer. I think everyone got emotional, everyone knows I always do... my grandpa reminded us about when we first moved to the states that him and grandma took Miguel and I in and helped start us on the right foot in the states... now look at our little family and where we are today.
All the grandkids (7) at the naming ceremony.
Friday included a trip to the Saginaw Zoo and even more pool swimming, Cruz is really brave in the water, Ayanna is nearly ready to swim on her own, and everyone else caused a ruckus in the pool... mostly lead by grandpa Centellas.
Novali at the Zoo.
Cruz and Grandpa
Friday night it was Fireworks and KFC at Raquel's house. Her and Craig hosted us, we burnt some of their grass with fireworks, made a mess in their kitchen, and all the cousins rode their bikes and scooters. Novali the eldest, got to light from of the fireworks on her own... the perks of being the oldest have finally come in her favor.
Novali and her fireworks!
It was a great couple of days... long and tiring... but packed with fun and adventure, memories and sun tans (I have nearly perfected my farmer tan now). I loved some much needed one on one time with my grandparents. I am looking forward to visiting Florida this fall to chat more.
My grandparents and I at Gael's naming ceremony.
I wish we could all get together more than once a year or so... but I am not sure how many times I could handle that many kids all over... but I am sure Grandpa and Grandpa wouldn't complain, just a sleep a lot afterwards....

~ Para Los Primos en Bolivia, permiso por no escribir en EspaƱol, la proxima!

No comments: