4.15.2018

A Day In the Life

I get asked a lot, what my days look like since I am so busy. I hate the term "busy", I prefer efficient. I think busy sounds like you are out of control, I am focused on being effective. Friday was crazy, but most days get crazy, and I thought, man I need to document my day. I usually Instagram a little, maybe Tweet, for sure some FB posts... I am documenting this to show people that its not hard work, you just have to be consistent, say yes when people ask for help, and get out of your comfort zone... and focus on being effective with your time.

5:15 AM - GYM TIME
If you follow me regularly you know that I am turning 40 later this year and trying to get in shape. Rode bike for 25 minutes, 20 minutes of weights, and then some stretching to get ready for the day.

6:30 AM - DONUT DAY
Its donut day with the kids. On the way home from the gym snagged my coffee, and their donuts for the ride to school.

7:30 AM - DROP OFFs
Maybe my favorite part of the day is dropping off the little ones. I give C good intentions before he walks in for school. Tell him to be kind, be a leader, work hard... Then I drop off M and she needs no intentions... she bursts in ready to own the classroom. Ah.

8:30 AM - WESTERN AVE
Swung by La Casa and then a Western Ave business to talk to an owner about a project. I also picked up some buttons and pan dulce... hey it's donut day.

9:30 AM - CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY
Went up to Notre Dame for the USCIS Citizenship swearing in ceremony. Helped with set up and last minute items. Connected media to some interviews and took time to finalize my speech.

11:30 AM - SPEECH
I had the honor of speaking after the Honorable Judge Ann Williams and I gave her one of our buttons. It is always powerful being a part of these ceremonies, like I said in my speech, immigrants remind me of my story, of my dad's story and that the American Dream is still alive.

1 PM - MANGO CAFE
Lunch at Mango with the La Casa team and a volunteer from our citizenship class. Love supporting immigrant owned businesses and man their yucca frita reminds me of home... did I mention donut day is diet cheat day?

3 PM - DEVELOPMENT
Met with realtors downtown on a development project. Hopefully good news and details coming soon. I try to remember on long term projects, you are either driving change, or you are watching it.

4 PM - IDEA WEEK
I am on the steering committee for the inaugural IDEA Week. We did a presser at the Brew Werks giving away tickets for the Chainsmokers concert and gave out information on IDEA Week.

6 PM - EL OTRO LADO
Went to Civil Rights Heritage Center for a panel discussion and the kick off of an art gallery featuring art from La Casa kids about immigration. Part of our events around the One Book title this year, "The Distance Between Us". Bummed I couldn't stay for entire panel discussion.

7:30 PM - BEACON BOUTS
I was asked to box for a good cause; the Beacon Center in South Bend. I like a good cause and a good challenge, so I agreed. I boxed Jacob Titus and we raised nearly $30k! Tons of fun with friends and my kids got to watch... wow boxing is a crazy hard workout!

9 PM - ICE CREAM
I had some restraint on donut day... on the way home took the kids for ice cream. The two little ones enjoyed the boxing match and sat ringside to cheer me on. I passed on dessert but got some take out, and we went home to get ready for bed.

WHEW. Next week right back at it...

No comments: