7.26.2004

IntroDUCKtion
This weekend was a blast... Crater Lake in the South of Oregon, Florence on the ocean, Mt. Saint Helens in WA, and the Oregon Brewmaster Festival and Portland. I will be posting pictures soon of the adventure. For now an update from Greek Life...

The summer orientation program here is called IntroDUCKtion (Oregon mascot is a Duck). Greek Life gets to put on a presentation, have information tables, and give tours of a house (fraternity and sorority). I get the pleasure of helping to coordinate the Greek involvement. Of course this is the first major time they will get to recruit potential new members and get to set parents minds at ease about their son or daughter going Greek.

I field a ton of questions (which is tough being how new I am here) from parents and make sure the students are getting the correct information. Students come with their parents to orientation here, about 70% of students bring their parents. I find that strange coming from Michigan were I don't know of schools that would have such high parent enrollment in an orientation program. I like it though. Most parents went here and it is an excuse for them to visit and check out all the changes... "I remember when" stories all over the place.

The first couple sessions were packed with people interested in Greek Life. Many were legacies (meaning someone in their family is Greek) and some had friends who were Greek. I of course took some pictures and figured I would let you all see one of my summer projects.

The fraternity info table gets lots of random questions, the students study up on Greek facts before hand.

The sorority table spends most of their time explaining what the Formal Recruitment Process looks like.

Our office is open letting people register online for recruitment right on the spot.

The morning presentation is very intersting... Flash.. pictures... all the fun stuff.
Numbers are up, way up. I really motivated the guys to push hard during IntroDUCKtion to sign guys up for recruitment (most days we had more guys then girls helping). They are very lax here about recruitment... I am trying to teach them effective techniques to get guys committed to checking out Greek Life. I got big plans for them during my short visit, hopefully we can accomplish some cool things before I go...

Speaking of going, today I fly to Chicago. I spend two days there and then buzz off to Orlando for my convention. On my return I will spend August 2nd in Grand Rapids getting ready to move my stuff, and then back to Oregon for work. Ah... so much traveling, so much work, so much fun, and so little time!

No comments: